The I-5 Rose Quarter Improvement Project will improve community connections by redesigning overpasses, reconnecting neighborhood streets and enhancing public spaces. Street improvements will:
- Provide smoother traffic flow on I-5 through ramp-to-ramp connections and wider shoulders.
- Enable faster emergency response times as responders use wider shoulders to move through traffic.
- Reduce frequent crashes on I-5 by up to 50%.
- Save travelers on I-5 nearly 2.5 million hours of travel time each year, getting people, goods and freight through this section of I-5 more quickly.
- Restore neighborhood street connections over I-5.
- Create opportunities for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises through contracts that build long-term career prospects for small businesses.
- Add more than 1.5 miles of local street improvements to make streets safer by offering greater visibility, protection and access to people walking, biking and rolling.
- Design and build a highway cover that can accommodate new community development.